Friday, March 19, 2010

The Sensational Character Find of 1940

DC Comics is my favorite comic company. There I’ve said it. I’m still a two-company guy when it comes to some things… Marvel’s Silver Age comics are unparalleled in their genius. Stan Lee is the greatest showman in the biz. Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, John Romita, John Buscema, Gene Colan, and Jim Steranko made up a bullpen of heavy hitters that were the comics’ version of Mantle, Maris, Berra, and DiMaggio. The Death of Captain Marvel will always be my favorite graphic novel, and Daredevil’s Born Again my favorite storyline. And, I’ll never get over how Bucky’s return made a boyhood dream come true. But, damn my heart really does belong to DC.

A lot of people gravitate to Marvel over their “cool” heroes, but for me it has always been DC’s champions that have me in their grip. I love tons of Marvel characters, and can explain (often better than their current writers) what makes them resonate so strongly. However, give me the chance to read the adventures of a DC icon, and I’ll choose that title over a Marvel one nearly every time. See, I know that most readers like to read about characters they can “relate” to (a Marvel hallmark), but I’m all about the escape. I want to read about the bravest pilot, the smartest detective, and mightiest being- because I can’t be any of those things.

That said, when it came time for me, as a fan, to choose “my character” I went in a slightly different direction. I chose Dick Grayson. Now, Dick Grayson was a boy when I first encountered him (despite the fact that he had been created thirty years before I was born), and it would be easy for me to relate to him. In the 80’s he was finally allowed to age in the comics, just as I was reaching my teenage years. And, I would eventually move out around the same time he at last earned his solo title. Despite all this I followed Dick Grayson’s adventures not out of any shared kinship, but because of a feeling his character instilled in every page (even as I am more than aware that I’ve now aged past him)- Wonder!

Dick Grayson, no matter his heroic identity, is the Boy Wonder after all. And, wonder I have. I’ve wondered how a boy can take down an army of grown men with guns. I’ve wondered how he turned his tragedy into a chance to do good for others with a smile on his face. I’ve wondered how he would cope with the threats that the adult heroes encountered. I’ve wondered whom he would fall in love with. I’ve wondered if he would get the due he deserved. Now, I wonder on the eve of his 70th anniversary (April, 2010), what the future holds for him.

He is currently doing fine as a replacement for Batman. But, with Bruce Wayne coming back soon, Damien wearing the Robin mantle, and the Nightwing name firmly back in the Superman camp, I’m a bit anxious to learn what’s next. One thing is for sure; I don’t want to sit through any more “rebuilding” stories. Does this mean I want nothing done with the character, and that nothing bad can ever come his way? HELL NO!!! I want to see him pushed to his limits, and then some. But, I want him to embrace his challenges with the same gusto and flair he had back when he was created. I hope the strides that have been achieved during his tenure as Batman will mark an end to the whiny Dick Grayson we were treated to a few years back (before Peter J. Tomasi’s brilliant story and words set things right).

“Introducing in this issue an exciting new figure whose incredible gymnastic and athletic feats will astound you. A laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger like the legendary Robin Hood whose name and spirit he has adopted”- Intro to Detective Comics #38 1940.

Does this sound like a guy who sits around complaining about his life?

Bruce Wayne: “ Well, Dick, now that your parents’ deaths have been avenged, are you going back to circus life?”

Dick Grayson: “No, I think Mother and Dad would like me to go on fighting crime, and as for me …well I love adventure!”

Wayne: “Okay, you reckless young squirt…Why didn’t you wait for me?”

Grayson: “ Aw! I didn’t want to miss any of the fun! Say, I can hardly wait till we go on our next case. I’ll bet it’ll be a corker!” From Detective Comics #38 1940.

Happy Anniversary, and Happy Birthday (most comics say that Grayson was born on the first day of Spring) to the single greatest character in any medium (to me anyway)- Richard John Grayson AKA Robin, Nightwing, Batman, Target, Renegade, etc.!

No comments:

Post a Comment