Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Iron Man 2 Gets It Right

I had a blast watching this flick. The reasons are many:

1) I saw it as part of Comic Masters latest movie/party events. As such, I got to watch it in the company of my fellow fans. Most of us enjoyed the heck out of it. The after film party was fun as well. I can’t thank Harry and his crew enough for all their efforts. Though I have to throttle even further back with the trivia questions next year.

2) The film was pure fun in the “Mighty Marvel Manner”. Iron Man, War Machine, and Black Widow blasting away at the bad guys with abandon. Shout outs to the Avengers, Captain America, and Thor are sprinkled throughout. The tone is crisp and light. It’s not deep in a Dark Knight way, but it does have a point of view. Which brings me to…

3) They stick it to liberal Hollywood! Make no mistake, the movie version of Tony Stark is as right wing as his portrayer Robert Downey, Jr. (Jon Favreau, as well as their pal Vince Vaughn are conservatives) Downey had a conversion several years ago, “I have a really interesting political point of view, and it’s not always something I say too loud at dinner tables here, but you can’t go from a $2,000-a-night suite at La Mirage to a penitentiary and really understand it and come out a liberal. You can’t. I wouldn’t wish that experience on anyone else, but it was very, very, very educational for me and has informed my proclivities and politics ever since.”

His fictional counterpart, Stark, takes on Whiplash and some robot drones, but the true threat comes from the government. They want to seize his armor, and regulate it, even though they played no part in its creation. Think of it as super-hero wealth redistribution. Stark shouts at (and mocks) a liberal senator, “You want my property? You can’t have it! But, I did you a big favor-I’ve successfully privatized world peace.” He isn’t sorry (or feels) guilty about his vast wealth. He has earned it by being better than his competitors, and because he is such a successful INDIVIDUAL the world has benefited from his accomplishments. That is a capitalist as crusader.

The best dig though is a send-up of Obama’s famous Hope poster.

Now, if they can only get the Captain America movie to have such zeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment