Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost No Longer (Or How I Both Don’t and Do Know Jack)

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need”- The Rolling Stones

The single greatest television series EVER came to an end last night, as Lost aired its much-hyped finale. If you entered this episode looking for further answers regarding Jacob, the Man in Black, their crazy mom, the funky lighthouse, the fertility statue, etc. (and I was), then you were left with those answers still beyond your grasp. So why do I feel like I’ve just seen the most haunting masterpiece I’ve ever experienced?

The answer to why I’ve loved Lost has always been the characters. I remember telling everyone during the first season, that the show was about this great group of interesting people trying to build a society-plus, there’s this monster. You see, for me, the monster, the time travel, constants, and hydro bombs, were just the topping. They were an extra bonus. I loved exploring their meanings and mysteries as much as the next fan. But, from the start I would debate those who said that the show was not forthcoming in giving up its secrets. I constantly argued that we, as viewers, feel the need for answers, but precious few of the CHARACTERS do. They just wanted to live.

And, live they did, embodied by the finest cast on TV. Yes, I may never know how the island could move and how those afflicted were magically cured. But, thanks to this series I did know Locke, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, Ben, and all the others (no pun intended). It was because, the creators made sure we understood them so completely (after all the shows biggest narrative trick was character enhancing flashes so that you literally knew them backwards, forwards, and sideways), that I was so moved by what they did choose to focus on in the end.

This was a deeply profound statement on focusing on what really matters, the power that human connections and friendships bestow, and that no man is an ISLAND.

Bravo!

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't read this already you'll probably get a kick out of it.
    http://amultipleman.blogspot.com/2010/05/lets-get-this-dance-party-dancin.html

    ReplyDelete